Making DIY Christmas ornaments has become a staple in the American Christmas tradition. There’s something about sitting around the dining room table; craft supplies, hot glue gun, and repurposed household items strewn about that is somewhat nostalgic. From making salt dough ornaments like we did when we were children with grandma, or simply repurposing items laying around the house there are many DIY Christmas ornaments to choose from.
DIY SNOWMAN SPOON ORNAMENTS
What you’ll need:
- white plastic spoons
- eggshell white chalk paint or wax
- black, red, orange paint
- 4 inch strips of fabric
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Christmas or primitive embellishments
- electric drill
- small drill bit
I first painted the spoon end of the plastic spoons with the eggshell paint (no need to paint the handle as it will be wrapped in twine), set aside to dry.
Next wrap the handle of the spoon with twine, use hot glue to adhere from beginning to end. At the end of the handle create a loop with twine to hang ornament from.
Add Christmas and or primitive embellishments with hot glue as well. Wrap fabric like a scarf directly under the spoon.
Paint the snowman face onto the spoon
SALT DOUGH CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
What you’ll need:
- Christmas cookie cutters
- acrylic paint
- twine, wire, ornament hooks
- warm water
To make the ornaments:
- preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- mix flour and salt well. Gradually add water, stirring with a large spoon. Finnish mixing with hands. Knead until soft and pliable.
- Roll out dough on floured surface about 1/8 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets. With a toothpick make a hole in the top of the ornament for threading string or wire. Bake at 325 degrees until hard, about 1 hour.
- Set aside to cool before decorating.
- Paint ornaments and attach string or wire
You can substitute white flour for wheat flour for more of a primitive looking ornament or add cinnamon to the dry mixture to darken dough.
Hang ornaments on your Christmas tree or use them for primitive bowl fillers.